Client: National Science Board
Goal: Looking to expand readership in the U.S. and internationally, the National Science Foundation turned to OmniStudio to create its first iPad publication app for the Science and Engineering Indicators (SEI), 2012 edition. A comprehensive source of high-quality, quantitative data on the U.S. and international science and technology, SEI is a biennial report that is highly respected by researchers, policymakers, and journalists.
Strategy: The cost of producing and hosting applications on the iTunes app store can be prohibitive for government agencies and nonprofit organizations. Omni partnered with Mag+, whose innovative publishing platform provides many customized options for publications created in Adobe InDesign.
Solution: Over 20 years of work with NSI provides us with in-depth knowledge of their 500+ page book’s composition structure. SEI’s tablet edition, downloadable for free on Apple’s App Store, and also available on the USA.gov app store, provides readers with the main volume’s text, figures and tables, as well as companion publications that help further highlight key findings from the report. The 2014 edition of the report will be available in March.
Results: NSF launched their first tablet edition in 2013 and they are reaching thousands of new readers. Omni’s expertise with Mag+ gives us first hand insight into its development plans and additional technical capabilities. Mag+, which is the platform of choice for Popular Science and New York magazines, has important features that make it an ideal platform for non-commercial publishers as well. These include:
• an affordable pricing structure that does not include download costs
• the ability to create apps that organizations can host on their own servers
• easy-to-update process for adding new publications to the app library
• a great support team that helps with app submission to Apple and Google Play
• free software updates
• push notification feature to communicate to users
The new SEI tablet app, now provides many new features for readers and NSF, including:
• social media sharing
• analytics that track readers’ sources and paths through the publications
• customizable store branding
• bookmarking pages
• automatic dual orientation
• the ability to add audio, video, HTML, pop ups